The Northern Virginia Conservation Trust will add to and sustain abundant, thriving natural places in our Virginia communities.
The Trust conserves land that has natural, historical, and cultural value to our communities.
Our Service Area
The Trust serves urban and rural areas of the region in Arlington, Caroline, Fairfax, Fauquier, King George, Loudoun, Prince William, Spotsylvania, and Stafford counties, and in the independent cites of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Manassas, and Manassas Park.
What NVCT does across the region
NVCT assists private landowners and local jurisdictions conserve and care for our natural and working lands and waters, and is saving nearby nature® for the benefit of current and future generations. The Trust is nationally accredited by the Land Trust Accreditation Commission.
- Holds conservation easements on more than 3,000 acres of private and public land, and owns 21 parcels, including a 70-acre great blue heron rookery in Stafford County, protecting one of the largest nesting sites in the Chesapeake area;
- Protects land with conservation value on parcels of all sizes, from small parcels in heavily developed urban areas to natural land and working farms and forests in rural areas;
- Assists in identifying and protecting important open spaces such as the state’s Crow’s Nest Natural Area Preserve, and has helped preserve 3,047 acres, most of which is now in public ownership;
- Stewards and monitors each parcel of protected land;
- Provides technical assistance to local governments to help carry out the goals of their comprehensive plans; and
- Engages the community with volunteer opportunities, special programs and workshops, training, and outreach events.