Open Position: Administrative Coordinator
Northern Virginia Conservation Trust (NVCT) is seeking an energetic Administrative Coordinator to support general office operations in accordance with our mission and goals. NVCT is a growing regional land trust that conserves parks, open space and nature throughout northern Virginia, at the doorstep of our National’s capital. The organization is well positioned to become the region’s leader in creating an interconnected system of green spaces, with a goal that all urban and suburban residents of Northern Virginia will live close to and have access to parks, trails, or protected natural areas.
General Position Description:
The Administrative Coordinator sets the tone for the entire organization and is intimately involved with all aspects of NVCT’s operations. The candidate is responsible for providing a full range of administrative support to the Executive Director and other members of the Land Trust’s board and staff. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: answering phones, preparing correspondence for mailings, managing our member database, arranging meetings, preparing materials for meetings, ordering office supplies and selected office equipment, and other duties as assigned. The Administrative Coordinator is a key member of the NVCT team and will work most frequently with the Executive Director, the Fund Development Coordinator, and the Communications Coordinator in the areas of governance, office finance, fund development, communications, and event planning. The job includes significant interaction with NVCT’s Board of Directors, land owners, vendors and donors. The Administrative Coordinator will be critical to achieving NVCT’s goals, and the position is a great opportunity to gain experience in the fields of environmental protection, non-profit financial management, and organizational communications, all while having opportunities to be outside in nature.
- External Customer Service:
The candidate will manage incoming calls to NVCT and convey to each caller an enthusiasm for our mission, and a positive, friendly, can-do attitude while supporting and representing NVCT at community events. (S)he will become familiar with our members, donors, board members, and work of NVCT, as well as develop and maintain positive relationships with vendors necessary to support NVCT’s print and media needs, IT, office supplies, printers and other office equipment.
- Financial transaction support:
The candidate will code bills and invoices, interface with our accounting firm, and prepare deposits and receipt of revenue from other sources such as wire transfers. In addition, the Administrative Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director to finalize the organization’s annual audit and preparation of tax forms.
- General Support:
The candidate will collect, open and distribute office mail daily; order office supplies and anticipate staff needs; become familiar with the features and maintenance of office equipment; arrange meetings as requested, including room reservation and any food service needed; maintain administrative filing; actively participate in weekly staff meetings to improve efficiency and offer support for upcoming events; be bold in suggesting and implementing (as approved) process improvements to streamline administrative work of the office and enhance the general public’s experience when they contact NVCT; and other related duties necessary to ensure smooth running of office.
- Fundraising support:
The candidate will prepare mailings for membership renewal and new member initiatives, acknowledge all financial contributions (gifts, memberships, etc.) to NVCT in a timely manner, and enter new donor/member information such as gifts, address changes and event attendance into our database to keep files current.
- Communications support:
The candidate will create and post various content to NVCT’s social media and web platforms, take photographs and video at NVCT events, and support the Communications Coordinator with other projects as directed.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Administrative support experience strongly preferred.
- Outgoing, professional and friendly personality with the ease to meet new people and quickly earn their confidence.
- Willingness and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Flexible self-starter who likes working with others and loves personal interaction.
- Confidence to try new things, expand existing programs, and not be afraid to fail.
- Dependable and reliable with a composed demeanor and professional appearance.
- Able to exercise good judgment, including discretion, when identifying and resolving problems.
- Love of the outdoors and an interest in conservation is a plus.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong computer skills, including multi-year experience with selected Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Experience with database platforms such as Constant Contact, Razor’s Edge or Gift Works.
- Ability to utilize social media platforms to grow organizational reach and capacity.
- Significant analytic ability to support collecting, organizing and evaluating materials and data.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy of all documents and tasks.
- Excellent written and speaking skills.
- VA driver’s license.
Reports to: The Executive Director
- Office based work with occasional driving to nearby vendors as needed.
- Minimal but occasional evening and weekend work expected.
- Office is located on the second floor of a building without an elevator. Meetings are held on both floors of the building and employee must be able to move between both floors carrying materials up and down stairs.
Submit resume and cover letter by Friday, Feb. 12, 2018, 5 p.m. to Alan Rowsome, Executive Director. No phone calls, please.
Mail: 4022-A Hummer Road, Annandale, VA 22003.
NVCT is an equal opportunity employer who welcomes candidates of all ages and backgrounds to apply for this position.