NVCT Partners to Restore Floodplain
On Saturday April 21, NVCT teamed up with Prince William County (PWC) staff and over 20 volunteers to begin a multi-year project to enhance the riparian buffer and floodplain along Bull Run in Ben Lomond Park. Over the course of three hours, volunteers planted more than 80 trees and removed invasive plants along the stream. Over the next two years, NVCT and PWC plan to reforest approximately 4 acres of the park floodplain including areas that are currently being mowed. Returning these areas to native forest will help filter sediment from runoff and enhance wildlife habitat.
Bull Run is a major tributary of the Occoquan Reservoir, which provides drinking water for over 1 million Northern Virginia residents. This project is part of NVCT’s Bull Run Headwaters Initiative, an effort to protect drinking water through voluntary land conservation and stewardship. Stay tuned for future volunteer opportunities and workshops!
"Earth Month" Review
The month of April has become a very busy time for NVCT staff. Earth Day falls on April 22nd each year, and its presence turns the entire month of April into what we call “Earth Month”. During “Earth Month”, staff is busy attending Earth Day events and planning volunteer opportunities. We do our best to make our presence known throughout the region. What were you up to this past April? Chances are, you might have seen us out and about. If not, be sure to mark these local events on your calendar for next “Earth Month”!
- April 7th: NVCT 1st Saturday Invasive Plant Removal Event at Dora Kelley Nature Park, Alexandria
- April 14th: NVCT Co-sponsored 2nd Saturday RiP Invasive Plant Removal at Lacey Woods Park, Arlington
- April 14th: NVCT Co-Sponsored Friends of Little Hunting Creek/Alice Ferguson Foundation Cleanup, Alexandria
- April 21st: Alexandria Earth Day Event
- April 21st: NVCT Co-sponsored Event at Ben Lomond Park, Manassas
- April 22nd: NVCT’s Annual Earth Day Silent Auction, Fort CF Smith Park, Arlington
- April 28th: NVCT Co-sponsored Culmore Cleanup Event (10th Anniversary), Falls Church/Fairfax
- April 28th: Fairfax County Earth Day/Arbor Day Celebration *
- May 5th: Walker Nature Center Earth Day Event
* NVCT accepted an award at the Earth Day/Arbor Day Celebration from the Fairfax County Tree Commission for "outstanding contribution toward the conservation of trees in Fairfax County."